Monday 12 April 2010

March 2010

Hooray - all the hedgehogs have woken up - they have been checked all over and weighed and now need fattening up before their release. I am so relieved that they have got through their hibernation successfully. I have been concerned many a time and have had blankets around their cages.

I have had had a new hedgehog arrive called Tasker. She woke up in the middle of her hibernation and the reason for this - she has a severe case of Ringworm - she is completely bare underneath and covered in a white flakey skin. Her eyes are almost closed and I hope I have caught the ringworm in time, before it causes any damage to her eyes. I have bought some Imaverol from the Vets and now it is bath time for Tasker then drying out in a plastic cage on a heat pad. I have got to be very careful as ringworm is highly contagious and I dont want any of our other Spikey Friends coming down with this.

It is now the end of March and all the hedgehogs have been eating up so well and they all have put on sufficient weight ready for their release. They have been totally spoilt on a diet of Chicken IAMS, meal worms and Pedigree Chum Dog food. Daisy, Chip, Stone, Nibbles, Bramble, Henry, Snuffles, Adrienne, Simples, Milly, Miles, Diana, Deano and last but not least Charlie all back to the wild where they belong. Nearly all of the hedgehogs were picked up by their owners and taken back where they were found in their rightful homes. Most of the owners were surprised to see how much weight their Spikey friends had put on. When they came in between October and December they were between 200 - 350 g most of them have now reached between 700 - 800g which will ensure a really good start to their release. Good luck to all of them and please keep me posted on how they get on. Fingers crossed - they lead such a dangerous life and have so many problems to deal with all caused by us....... I am afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment