Monday 12 April 2010

Feburary 2010

February was extremely busy looking after our Spikey Friends, more dark mornings and dark nights. It has been a long winter and I can't wait for Spring to arrive - all the hedghogs hibernating seem to be doing fine, but it is scary for me playing the waiting game. I do hope they all get through their hibernation successfully. What amazing creatures though to go without food from November until March. I am studying a hedgehog in my neighbours garden. He is called Gandolf and has made a hibernaculum out of leaves. He does not appear to have moved at all, through the snow, frosts and extreme cold. I do not feel there is much protection in his nest but he vacated my expensive hedgehog Deluxe Box two days after release In October 2009. Before hibernation he got to 1.3 kg so I am hoping he will get through, he should have plenty of surplus weight. Hedgehogs are quite incredible, my sons and my husband can only go for an hour or two without feeding!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment